I am all for doing whatever we can to care for the needs of a new mother, especially during those initial weeks of breastfeeding. With the birth of my now six-month-old grandson, my daughter had assembled a basket of items that had been gifted to her or she had purchased. This basket was close by for her frequent round-the-clock nursing sessions, easy to transport from place to place with a babe in arms. Since then, she has given similar gifts to expectant girlfriends and I wanted to do the same for a special niece who is expecting shortly.
- Chewy Oatmeal Lactation Cookie Mix - This is a recipe that I adapted from an America's Text Kitchen Recipe. There are various recipes on Pinterest for lactation cookies, all with three things in common; oatmeal, Brewer's Yeast, and ground flax seed. This mix is packaged in separate labeled bags; sugars, dry ingredients, nuts, chocolate chips, flax seed, and the recipe. All that is needed is butter, eggs, and vanilla.
- Earth Mama. Angel Baby Postpartum Bath Herbs - are a heap of help for your heinie, both before and after the birth of your angel. NOTE: I'd recommend purchasing from Amazon, not just an Amazon seller. The box was sent in a bubble envelope and arrived in less than optimal condition!
- Arnicare Gel - is a homeopathic medication that's not only a great addition to your first aid kit but can provide relief to bruised and sore tissue.
- Arnica Tablets - or these, (not pictured) are also a nice addition as a safe homeopathic option. It can be used in conjunction with pain relievers.
- Traditional Medicinals Organic Mother's Milk Tea - herbs used to help nursing mothers with breast milk production. Earth Mama Angel Baby's Milkmaid Tea is also an excellent choice.
- Earth Mama Angel Baby Mother's Nipple Butter - Soothing, non-sticky, lanolin-free, Non-GMO calendula nipple cream for breastfeeding mamas, and anyone with dry, chapped skin.
- Earth Mama Angel Baby New Mama Bottom Spray - doesn't require explanation!
- Hand Food from Ulta - a treat for hands dried from all of that washing. A non-greasy hand cream with shea butter, macadamia oil, and marshmallow. Scented with fresh bergamot, mandarin, rose, jasmine, peach, strawberry, and soft musk & amber base notes for skin that is blissfully clean and silky-soft.
- Neck Rice Bag - I've made these and other rice bags for years and included one in this package because I know how sore the neck and shoulders of a nursing mom can be! It can also be used as a warm compress on a full breast to aid in milk let-down or a clogged milk duct (ouch!)! Make your own or purchase.
The basket I found at Home Goods and lined with a fabric I thought would go well in this little one's nursery. Customize your own with favorite products that you love and let me know if there are essentials you found helpful during the early days and weeks of nursing.